Maryvale, located on the Dubbo to Orange line, was Project 5C in the NSW Main West Rail Strategy and involved the construction of a crossing loop between Wellington and Combo to accommodate 1800m trains on a greenfield site. Following the completion of the Preliminary Design, the JHRCRN project team requested the loop be relocated to the Country end. With the revised location of the proposed loop from 418.720km to 420.750km, the detailed design progressed with the loop in this location.
The scope of Lycopodium’s engagement for the project was to deliver the detailed civil and track design necessary to construct a loop extension at Maryvale, with a configuration that provides:
- Minimum Loop speed of 50km/h.
- Minimum Track centres of 4.0m (new track work only).
- Motorised and Self Normalising Points to the Country and City Ends.
- Bidirectional operations on the loop.
- Accommodate trains up to 1,800m in length.
- 25 Tonne axle loads (TAL).