The Sentinel Project is a greenfield project located approximately 150 kilometres west of Solwezi in north-west Zambia, in the “new copper belt.”
The Sentinel Project contains a part of a series of interesting geological exploration targets and at this point in time three areas have been identified namely: Sentinel Copper, Enterprise Nickel and Intrepid Copper. The current project is for Sentinel Copper and other targets will likely be developed further in due course.
The Project Execution Model for the Project involved an Owner Build approach whereby First Quantum Minerals Limited self-performed most site construction works and manage the engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning of the project.
The scope of work undertaken by Lycopodium for the Project can be summarised as follows:
- Bulk and detailed earthworks, roads and drainage design for the process plant, specific areas of the mine services area and secondary crushing
- Process design and drafting of flowsheets and P&IDs for a 55 Mtpa throughput copper concentrator plant
- Mechanical, Civil, Structural and Piping engineering design and drafting for the Milling, Flotation, Concentrate handling, Reagents, Tails Thickening and Raw water pipeline
- Evaluation and recommendation of all mechanical equipment associated with the wet plant
- Generation of detailed MTOs for piping procurement. Procurement support for structural steel, platework and piping supply contracts, including issuing of drawings and tracking drawings revisions
- Generation of spares schedule
Engineering reached practical completion mid-2013 and construction was completed mid-2014.