Extreme climatic conditions and remoteness of the site was reflected in the design and implementation approach.
The Project was undertaken as a joint venture between Minproc, Hatch and Lycopodium.
The flowsheet for Telfer included the following:
- Two process trains, each with a capacity of 9 Mtpa
- Primary crushing facilities for open pit ores
- Transfer conveyor for underground ore
- Primary crushed ore sampling
- Crushed ore stockpile stacking via luffing and slewing radial stacker (3 units)
- A grinding facility comprising one 15MW SAG mill and one 13 MW ball mill in closed circuit with classifying cyclones for each process train
- Pebble stockpile and recycle crushing facility
- Gravity gold concentration via Falcon centrifugal concentrators
- Two-stage flash flotation circuit
- Copper and pyrite flotation comprising roughing, scavenging, cleaning and recleaning cells, with provision for controlled potential sulphidisation (CPS)
- Screening, thickening, pressure filtration and stockpiling of copper concentrate
- Load-out facility for road transportation of copper concentrate
- Pyrite concentrate desliming, thickening and filtration
- Pyrite leaching and CCD thickening
- SART/AVR cyanide recovery
- Reagent Mixing for CPS, flotation, CIL and SART reagents
- Flotation tailings thickening and disposal.